Thursday, September 27, 2012

Words to the Wise

Earlier this week I had a horrible morning. God called to my heart, so I sat at His feet and was filled with His Word. I prayed and sobbed and asked for forgiveness. As I sat for a little bit, I started thinking of my words and how great of an impact my words and my actions have on not only the family and friends around me, but what great impact it has on my husband and our kids. I sat down and wrote Speak in my notebook that I use when I am digging deeper in God's Word. So I went to my concordance and looked up all the verses dealing with the word, "speak". Then I wrote "Word(s)", "Lips", "Tongue". I was amazed by how many verses there were in my concordance alone. From just the ones I picked out from my Bible for all 4 words were 47. That's not including the verses that I didn't look up or the many verses that my concordance doesn't even touch on! That's incredible! I am guessing that God wants me to know just how important my words are and when to speak and when to listen. There were an overwhelming amount of verses that God used to speak to me on Monday morning. If I wrote them all out, well, it would be a lot of verses because as I looked at the surrounding verses to each passage, I saw that it wasn't just the verse that was important, it was the passage or the verses before or after that verse. Here are a few verses that really spoke to my heart..

"And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father though Him." Colossians 3:17

"25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and give no opportunity to the devil." Ephesians 4:25-27

"When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent." Proverbs 10:19

"A man of quick temper acts foolishly, and a man of evil devices is hated." Proverbs 14:17

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body." Proverbs 16:24

"27 Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. 28 Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent." Prov. 17: 27-28

"A fools lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invited a beating." Prov. 18:6

And those are barely grazing all the verses! My heart was filled that day sitting at His feet. Verse after verse showing me that what I say should not be taken lightly and that the words from my mouth should line up with what scripture says. I am an example to our children and am to be not only teaching them the Biblical response to things, but also living out the Word. The words that came out of my mouth that morning are covered by His blood and I am thankful. Now what am I going to do with what He showed me that morning? 

No comments:

Post a Comment