Thursday, September 13, 2012

So Where 's the Balance?

Busy ~ engaged in action, being in use, full of activity, foolish or intrusively active, full of distraction. Busywork ~ work that usually appears productive or of intrinsic value but actually only keeps one occupied.
"4 Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds in company with men who work iniquity" Psalm 141:4
Idle ~ lacking worth or basis, not occupied or employed: as having no employment, not turned to normal or appropriate use, not scheduled to compete, having no evident lawful means of support
Lazy ~ disinclined to activity or exertion; not energetic or vigorous, encouraging inactivity or indolence, moving slowly, placed on it's side, not rigorous or strict
"15 Slothfulness casts into a deep sleep, and an idle person will suffer hunger." Proverbs 19:15
"13 Besides that, they learn to be idlers, going about from house to house, and not only idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not." 1 Timothy 5:13
So where's the balance? I have to say that when I am busy, I seem to forget what needs to be changed in me. I seem to be too busy to hear God speaking. I forget that honoring my husband is something that I have to work at, not something that gets pushed to the side because it doesn't fit with my plans to keep moving forward. On the flip side, if I slow down, I think of everything. I have more time to think about the good or bad things I like or don't like about my husband. I have more time to stew on an argument we had 3 days ago. (just throwing out examples.. still can't talk to Brent just yet) So where is the balance. If I'm too busy I ignore whatever is going on and just keep going. If I'm idle long enough, I focus on all the negative things. Not always, but a lot of the time, especially when I am able to talk with Brent or he's here with us. I guess that's what God says, "8  Be sober minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8 I don't really think it matters to Satan how busy or idle we are, he still knows our weaknesses and pounces on them like a lion. What a powerful image that is of the lion. If I were lost in Africa, I am pretty sure that I would want to be drunk, over-tired, or in la la land. If I were, there's no way I would survive. "Be sober minded; be watchful." What an amazing Papa. He is warning me. I can't be sober minded or watchful if I am too busy or distracted. And I can't be sober minded and watchful when I am being idle. So I'm brought back to the question, where's my balance? How do I balance and juggle between being busy and being idle? Honestly the first thing that came to mind was at Jesus' feet. 
While being busy, I haven't had time to sit and ponder on what needs to be changed in me. I haven't had time to sit and think about where my husband falls short. I do tend to think more about all of that when I am not so busy, but then I just turn on the tv like any person and drown out my problems. Sometimes it gets so overwhelming I just want to escape. And my problems aren't even that huge. I'm pretty sure that's not the right response. As I've written before "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matt. 11:28. I guess that is where my answer lies, in Christ. He will show me, He will teach me. 
God really has been bringing 1 Peter 5:8 to my attention with being busy. As I went to go and look up the passage, I kept reading. "9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." 1 Peter 5:9-10 God's promise. That in resisting the temptation to be too busy or too idle, God will restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish me. I'm also encouraged knowing that I am not the only one that goes through all of this. I am encouraged that there are other women who are out there going through the same things as I am. It makes me not feel so isolated and alone in this struggle of honoring my husband... 

No comments:

Post a Comment